Sunday 12 June 2011

Fire Child Part 3


It took a few seconds for Alyza to realise the cause of the class’s sudden strange atmosphere.  She had grown completely accustomed to Zed’s peculiar appearance and thus never considered how her school peers would react.  It also didn’t help that he regarded the whispering mass as if they were an accumulation of insects.  There were even a few students who visibly shivered under his gaze.
  “This is Zed Warren, now as you have all clearly noticed, he has an unique eye colour.  I don’t want anyone giving him trouble about it, understood?  Now I will give you some time to ask a few questions before we start, but keep it civil,” said Mr. Martinez, silencing the class.
  “Why are your eyes silver?” came the obvious first question.
  “I just said not to trouble him about it!” said the teacher angrily.
  “It’s alright, I don’t mind.  It’s a genetic anomaly, I was born this way.  But some say that I’m possessed,” said Zed calmly, allowing the awkward silence to linger for a moment before adding, “That last part was a joke.”
  Christine silently regarded Zed as a few students gave an uncomfortable imitation of laughter.  There was something about him that frightened her, and she knew it wasn’t due to anything as superficial as his eye-colour.  It was in everything he did, the way he moved, the way he spoke, the way he bore himself.  It was as if she felt instinctively wary of him. 
  “Why did you transfer here?” asked a girl that looked like Christine felt.
  Mr. Martinez was about to say something when Zed indicated that it was all right.  “I transferred here to make someone close to me happy.”
  “And who might that be?” caught Christine herself saying out loud.  
  Zed fell silent as he ran his gaze throughout the class, finding Alyza sitting at the back near the windows.
  Christine noticed that he now suddenly seemed less terrifying then he did a moment ago as she pressed, “Well?”
  “Alyza.”
  The answer brought an instant uproar as the demand for answers took precedence over class etiquette.  Male students were loudly voicing their disbelief and it took Mr. Martinez a few minutes to stop Alyza’s interrogation and restore order.  Not risking another breakdown in civility, Mr. Martinez quickly assigned Zed to a seat and started class.

Alyza sighed.  “You know, my personal life isn’t a freaking public affair.”
  Christine masked a chuckle.  “You should have informed Zed of that fact, besides it couldn’t really be helped, since it would have come out sooner or later that the Forbidden Fruit has been eaten.”
  “Christine, I have asked you not to call me that, it’s demeaning,” replied Alyza with disgust.
  “And why is it that you didn’t tell me he is transferring to our school?  I never get you to shut up about him but when something this significant happens, you suddenly turn into a mute and leave me in the dark.  What, did you lose my number or something?”
  “I don’t know, it all just happened so fast,” said Alyza, avoiding eye contact.
  “Still, I have to say, I never expected him to be so . . . strange.  It’s like the person you’ve told me about and the person in our class are two different people.”
  “He’s different around other people than he is with me.  He’s actually really sweet and –”
  Zed exited the building and scanned the crowded school-yard for a moment before spotting Alyza and Christine.
  Alyza quickly leapt to her feet and hugged Zed when he reached them.  “Where have you been?”
  “At admin, I had to take care of a few things.”
  Alyza motioned to her friend.  “This is Christine.”
  “Oh?  I finally get to meet you in the flesh,” said Zed as he extended his hand.
  Christine hesitated a moment before taking the offered hand.  “That’s my line, I was beginning to wonder if you weren’t just a figment of Alyza’s imagination.  How are you adapting to the new environment?”
  “It is somewhat different from what I’m used to, but there are a few things worth sticking around for,” said Zed as he glanced at Alyza, who seemed to have attached herself to his arm.
  “That’s good, just be careful.  There are a lot of jealous guys out there and even men act like children when their jealous.”
  Zed smirked and Christine felt the hair on the back of her neck stand on end.  “I can take care of myself.”
  “No, don’t you even dare think about fighting anyone,” said Alyza.
  “But she just said that –”
  Alyza gave Zed a stern look.  “I don’t care.  You don’t fight anyone.  If someone gives you trouble, you come to me and I’ll sort it out.”
  “But Alyza I –”
  “End of discussion.  If you want me to be happy then you won’t fight anyone, ok?” interrupted Alyza.
  Zed sighed.  “Very well.”
  “Quite the commanding girlfriend you’ve got there,” teased Christine.
  Zed looked at Alyza’s flushed cheeks.  “I don’t mind.  I’d do anything for her.”
  “W-w-what a-are y-you saying?” said Alyza before taking a deep breath, “Please learn some discretion.”
  The bell rang.  Zed, Alyza and Christine headed to class as the rest of the students thronged back into the building.
  Alyza started to pat down her pockets.
  “What’s wrong?” asked Christine.
  “I think I lost my cell phone, it must have fallen out of my pocket when we were sitting on the grass.”
  “Class is about to begin, you go on ahead, I’ll go back and get it,” said Zed.
  “Sorry,” said Alyza giving Zed a quick kiss.
  Christine watched Zed turn back and grinned.  “Must be nice to have such an understanding boyfriend.”
  “Oh shut up,” said Alyza as she continued to their class.
  Zed rushed to the spot where he had met Christine and saw the cell phone lying on the grass.  He heard muffled footsteps on the grass behind him as he knelt to pick it up.
  “Well if it isn’t our newest celebrity.”
  Zed slipped the phone into his pocket as the ten boys surrounded him.
  “Listen here freak, I’m Dustin and my friends and I run this school,” said the leader of the boys.
  Zed calmly looked into Dustin’s eyes.  “Quite the feat, what do you want?”
  Dustin grabbed Zed’s shirt with his left hand.  “An attitude like that is going to get you your ass handed to you.  Don’t go thinking you’re the hottest shit because you’re dating that uptight bitch, Alyza.”
  Zed smirked.  “You’ve already been rejected I see.”
  Dustin drove his fist into Zed’s stomach and It howled.

No comments:

Post a Comment