Sunday 28 August 2011

Fire Child Part 14

Zendrius shifted uncomfortably in the magnolia armour as they neared the nexus. “What do you suppose this armour is made of?”
“I do not know my lord, the Agrarian is not known for his craftsmanship.”
“It’s strange that I really wasn’t bothered by my nudity, especially since I know I would never have strolled around naked back on Earth.”
“Just like your body is changing, I can only presume your mind does as well, my lord,” said Nessha as they approached the massive rune drawn in the black soil.
Zendrius stopped his companion just as she was about to speak. “Let me, Yolphilious.”
However instead of Oriax a small ball of fuchsia energy appeared above the rune.
“It means Oriax is busy with a client elsewhere and that we should wait,” said Nessha before her lord could ask.
“Hmmm, so how do we know how long we have to wait?”
“We don’t, my lord. Oriax usually prioritises who gets helped according to their standing in Los-Reinar.”
“Oh ok, well since we have the time why don’t you tell me about what has been bothering you?”
“My lord?”
“Something has been bothering you since we left the Garden, care to share?”
Nessha looked down. “I’m worried, my lord.”
“About your friends?”
“That as well, but the durandals . . .”
“Oh you think because I almost lost an arm in my fight with that lobventor from the First Tier that I’ll be killed by a durandal since they are the third race of the Ooti. The Ooti might be Third Tier but the durandals can’t use magic, which means I’ll be fine as long as I don’t get hit.”
“It’s not that my lord,” said Nessha hesitantly.
“Then what? I don’t understand.”
“The durandals’ native realm is Liquiem.”
“Yes and?”
“My lord, Juria controls Liquiem.”
“What?!”
“The durandals are not the third race of the Ooti anymore, my lord. They are the only race of the Ooti, the rest have all been hunted to extinction. Since the people of Juria entered Los-Reinar by their own doing, their hunger and thirst is not in harmony with this plane. Where any of the Six Tiers as well as the Fallen can survive by only eating and drinking once in weeks, they have to consume substances daily. The durandals’ fate is a cruel one, for although they do not possess the ability to weave magic, their regeneration is matched only by the Dannar. If they lose a limb for instance, it is replaced in minutes. However once captured they possess no way of escaping from captivity except through brute force.”
“Wait you can’t mean-”
“Indeed my lord, Juria uses them like cattle.”
“But mankind doesn’t believe in eating other sentient beings!”
“My lord, you should know yourself that every race in the Six Tiers is sentient. What do suppose mankind would have done if every living thing on Earth was sentient?”
“Why didn’t the Dannar stop them? Why don’t they stop them? Surely there are no machines that can stop their combined power?”
“That is true my lord, but the thing Los-Reinar lacks is unity. The Six don’t mind the humans because to them, they are little more than pests and Juria does not anger the Dannar because they are not fools.”
“Have they no foresight? Surely they must know that Juria will only continue to grow stronger until they can eventually challenge them?”
Nessha shrugged. “I don’t not know how their minds work, my lord. Mastema tried to warn them but it was only your mother that took the time to listen.”
“What –” started Zendrius when Oriax appeared.
“Oh my, it is you my lord,” said the violet-eyed being with a bow. “I did not recognise the energy signature that called me and so I assumed it was some nameless fiend. I apologise and may I say that you have matured quite well these past few cycles.”
“I’m sure,” said Zendrius absently.
“Do you still have a nexus in Liquiem?” asked Nessha.
Oriax gave a wide grin. “As long as they keep destroying them, I’ll keep making them.”

Persephone walked over to the egg and lightly stroked the taut surface. “Finally you are ready.”
The translucent cyan membrane contracted in response, opening small valves at its base. Alyza slowly drifted down as the amniotic fluid drained from the egg until she lay at the bottom. The petaloid limbs of the egg relaxed and fell away, unveiling the naked girl.
Persephone kneeled next to her and brushed away the raven hair from her face. “Now you will be worthy of my son.”
“My lady,” said a voice behind her.
Persephone turned to the man and saw that he was averting his eyes from the girl. “You are wise, Azain. We do not know how my son might react if he learns that another male saw his mate unclothed.”
Her dead mate’s kin smiled and held out a towel. “If he inherited Mastema’s power it’d rather not get on his bad side.”
Persephone took the towel, taking care not to catch Alyza’s tail in an awkward position as she gently wrapped the girl in it. “Let us take her to her room.”
Azain followed closely as his deceased best friend’s lover marched from the room. “Should I not go get Zendrius? He will be killed if he is caught.”
“My son is where he needs to be, he has to succeed without our help, else all of this is pointless,” said Persephone as two woman opened the doors to Alyza’s chambers.
“But everything will also have been for nothing if he is killed,” said Azain as he helped placing Alyza onto bed.
“My son will not die so easily.”

No comments:

Post a Comment